Saturday, April 21, 2007

a lesson in contentment...

No photos this time... the only picture I have is a mental image that I hope will stay with me forever...

While I was in Santa Barbara last weekend, the Lord taught me a powerful lesson about contentment... En route to my hotel one evening, I encountered several homeless men lining State Street. I began to feel a bit guilty as I passed by them while sipping my chai latte, and I made a mental note to "do something next time" to reach out in Christ's love.

My opportunity came the following evening. I had seen another homeless man on my way to dinner and decided to bring him some food...

"Sir, are you hungry?" I asked as I approached him. "I brought you some dinner."

"Well, not right now," he responded. "But I could save this for later, when I wake up around 4am." And he put the white styrofoam container into the grocery cart beside him.

I walked away with tears in my eyes.

How often do I eat just because I can, and not because I'm really hungry? Here was a man truly in need, yet he displayed more contentment in that one moment than I likely exhibit on a regular basis.

Wow.

Lord, teach me, that I may be able to say along with Paul, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (Philippians 4:12)

No comments: