Monday, April 16, 2007

heaven's gain




Earth is grieving today...

We are celebrating that you're finally home, Sheryl.... finally free from the cancer that so quickly ravaged your earthly body.

But our hearts will ache for a while.... perhaps a long while. Your absence is leaving an irreplaceable void on this earth.




You're one of God's most special creations. Do you think He's allowed to have favorites? If so, I'm sure you're one of them. You're certainly one of mine.

Remember our last lunch together? I felt badly that you had to put on your "counselor hat" that day. "Not counselor," you said. "Friend."

Thanks, Friend.... for nearly ten years, I've enjoyed the journey with you. You've listened well, loved well, encouraged well, counseled well, and spoken truth well. You've left your imprint on hundreds of lives now scattered around the globe.

I still can't quite fathom that you're "there" and not "here." But I can only imagine the "welcome home" party that must have been thrown on your behalf.... because our loss is truly heaven's gain. I bet you're already scouting out the best places to hike in heaven. Find a good trail, OK? I'll look forward to joining you when I get there!

So, dear Friend, we certainly grieve your loss. But we do not grieve without hope. And that hope allows us to rejoice in your complete and final healing.

I've asked the Lord to whisper to your heart what my heart is wanting to communicate to you right now... the words I would have spoken to you had I been given the opportunity...... and I trust He will.

Just know that I'll be looking for you when it's my turn to join you in heaven. I can't wait to hug your neck!!

You've finished strong, dear sister. I can only imagine that when you met the Lord face to face, He must have said to you, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missie,

Seems like in the last week I have found only a void where words should be... I've had thoughts aplenty, just no words to manifest my heart's hurt. So, thank you for expressing a piece of my heart too.

Truly, Sheryl taught me that tears can be healing. I pray that my many tears over the last week (and the weeks to come) bring healing for my heart as I remember this beautiful woman who touched both our lives with love and gentleness...this amazing woman who is an integral part of our individual tapestries of restoration.

I am thankful that you can journey alongside me in this season of grief for our beloved friend as that makes this loss a bit more bearable...simply by being able to recount our fondest memories of Sheryl to one another. I, too, am thankful that we both are a part of Sheryl's legacy...that we are witnesses to and beneficiaries of her life's calling to bring healing to others by embodying the unconditional, tender love of the Father (who now holds her in an everlasting embrace).

With love and thankful for you,
Sissie